MARYLAND BOARD OF NURSING
4140 PATTERSON AVENUE
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND 21215-2254
TELEPHONE: 410 585-1900
TOLL FREE: 1-888-202-9861
Effective January 27, 2012:
Please be advised that the disclosure of your Social Security Number or
Federal Tax Identification Number is mandatory
in order to process your application.
Any license or certificate application(s) received at the Maryland
Board of Nursing without either a Social Security Number (SSN) or
Federal Tax ID Number WILL NOT
be processed. Applications without these numbers are
The Board is required by federal and Maryland law to collect this
information for the following purposes:
understand that if the Board receives your application, but it is
incomplete because there is NO
Social Security Number or Federal Tax ID Number, your application WILL
NOT be processed and WILL BE
returned to you.
of identity with respect to final adverse actions related to your
license or certificate (42 U.S.C. § 1320a-7e(b))
of the Child Support Enforcement Program (Md. Family Law Code Ann., §
by the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation of new
businesses in Maryland (Md. Health Occ. Code Ann., § 1-210)
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR GRADUATES OF SCHOOLS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES
Eligibility Requirements for Maryland Licensure by Examination
- A high school diploma or its equivalent (GED)
- Graduation from an approved school of nursing substantially equivalent to Maryland programs and offering a
program of correlated theory and clinical practice in Medical, Surgical, Obstetric, Pediatric, Gerontologic, and Psychiatric Nursing.
- Criminal History Record Check
- Declaration of Primary State of Residence
- Competency in oral English by either:
- Graduation from an onsite 3-year or longer nursing program located in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada except Quebec,
New Zealand, or Ireland and recognized by the Board as requiring competence in spoken English, or
- Passing the TOEFL iBT speaking score of 26, or the ILA Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI), with a score of at
least 3 or the IELTS taken on or after October 01, 2005 with a score of at least 7 on the Speaking Module and 6 on other Modules, plus 6.5 overall
Steps in Application Process:
- Maryland Board of Nursing Application for Licensure by Examination
- Credentials Evaluation Service Application
- TOEFL iBT, IELTS or ILA OPI*
- NCLEX Candidate Bulletin**
You must file an application with the Maryland Board of Nursing before the Board can receive supporting documents.
You should request the supporting documents from CGFNS and the oral English test at the same time that you file your Maryland application, because any application that is inactive and not completed within ONE (1) YEAR will be destroyed and a new application must be filed and another fee paid. Your eligibility to take the RN or PN test will be determined by the Board as soon as all information required has been received from you, from
CGFNS, and from TOEFL iBT, ILA OPI, or IELTS. The Board will then evaluate your complete application and determine whether you are eligible for either the RN or PN test.
After the Board’s evaluation, register for the appropriate examination with the tester by Internet
(www.pearsonvue.com/nclex), by phone, or by mail. You will then receive the Authorization To Test (“ATT”) by email or by letter, and will be able to make an appointment to test with the tester.
*More information is available on the Board’s
**INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS SHOULD WAIT UNTIL THEIR APPLICATION IS COMPLETE AND APPROVED BEFORE REGISTERING FOR THE
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILLING OUT THE MARYLAND BOARD OF NURSING APPLICATION
FOR RN OR PN LICENSURE BY EXAMINATION
THE BOARD OF NURSING ACCEPTS PAPER APPLICATIONS ONLY
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
- Print and use only capital letters. Put one letter per box. Skip one box between words.
- Use black or blue pen only, not pencil or felt tip pen.
- Use abbreviations when possible.
- Leave a box blank, or mark with an “X” but do not circle or write anything outside of the boxes on the form.
- Your name must be the same on your
application, your supporting documents, and your photo identification
when you test. Use the name that you want to appear on your license.
- Address section: Complete “section 13. Country”
only if you are currently residing outside of the United States.
- If you have had a criminal conviction(s), you must submit a separate page with a complete description and explanation of each incident.
- Tape one recent passport type full-face photo (2" X 2") to the application where indicated.
Print your name on the back of the photo before you attach it to the application.
- Mail your completed application and
Declaration of Primary State of Residence form to the Board with a money order or check for
$100.00. Make payable to the “Maryland Board of Nursing.”
- Mail BOTH the blue and purple Criminal History
Record Check cards to the address at the top of the purple card.
Make a copy of each card and include the copies when you mail back
the Board of Nursing application. If you are fingerprinted
electronically in Maryland, include a copy of the receipt with your
Board of Nursing application.
- NEED FOR SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS: The Maryland Board of Nursing complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act in accommodating candidates with special needs.
Notify the Board immediately at 410-585-1929 if you have a need for special testing accommodations.
The following written documents must be submitted to the Board office verifying the disability and need before special accommodations can be considered.
Letter from the candidate: stating diagnosis and accommodations
Letter from the school of nursing: describing any special accommodations given
Letter from a health professional i.e. Medical Doctor, Psychologist, Psychiatrist, etc.: must include diagnostic codes and suggested accommodations.
NCLEX TESTING APPLICATION
1. After your application to the Maryland Board of Nursing is complete, including reports from CGFNS and your oral English exam, read the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin (enclosed) carefully.
2. Follow the directions to register for the
NCLEX on the web (www.pearsonvue.com/nclex). You may also choose to register by telephone or by mail. To register by mail, complete the form found in the middle of the enclosed bulletin. Use a No. 2 pencil; do
not use ink. Mail in the envelope provided in the bulletin. Do not return this application to the Board of Nursing.
3. For online or telephone registration you will need a major credit card. If registering by mail, you must enclose a certified check, cashier's check, or money order for the appropriate amount. Make checks
payable to the “National Council of State Boards of Nursing.”
4. If all application requirements are complete and approved, the Board will notify the tester. You will then receive your ATT via e-mail, or by regular mail if you registered by mail and have no e-mail, and can schedule your test. If you do not appear for your NCLEX testing appointment, you will be required to re-register, and to re-pay the Board and the NCLEX fees.
TDD FOR DISABLED MARYLAND RELAY SERVICE 1-800-735-2258
Supplemental Information for Maryland Board of Nursing Applicants for Licensure Examination:
APPLICATION FOR ORAL ENGLISH TEST
TOEFL iBT: Obtain an application, or apply directly, using the Online Application System on the Web at
www.ets.org. The mailing address is: Educational Testing Service, Rosedale Road, Princeton, NJ 08541
ILA OPI: Obtain the application on the Board’s web page,
www.mbon.org/licensure/opi_app.pdf. This is an in-person test, offered in Maryland. The results are available in less than one month. The mailing address is: ILA OPI, 6400 Baltimore National Pike, # 211, Catonsville, MD 21228
IELTS: If testing
after October 1, 2005, obtain an application and information at
You must request that test results be sent to the Maryland Board of Nursing
CREDENTIALS EVALUATION SERVICE APPLICATION PACKET
Information and the Online Application System are available on the Web at
www.cgfns.org. Read all instructions carefully. As
of February 1, 2011, The report name required by the Maryland Board of Nursing
is the CES Professional Report. You must use the online application
Answers to most frequent questions:
A. Request For Academic Records For Credentials Evaluation:
1. Send the request for Licensure Validation directly to your original licensing agency. Send the request for your Academic Records, including secondary education, directly to your school(s). Request the school to send your transcript directly to:
3600 Market Street
Philadelphia, Pa 19104-2651, USA
2. The Maryland Board of Nursing cannot accept transcripts.
B. Application Form For Credentials Evaluation Service
1. Complete application by following all instructions. Apply online if possible.
2. Indicate at “Report Recipients” that you want this report to be mailed to:
Maryland Board of Nursing
4140 Patterson Ave
Baltimore, MD 21215-2254
3. The type of report that you must request is
the CES Professional Report .
4. You must include both the name that you use now and your name while attending school, if different, on your application for Credentials Evaluation.
Last update: January 27, 2012
Contact the Webmaster
Copyright © 1999 - 2015 Maryland Board of Nursing
Lawrence J. Hogan, Jr., Governor
Boyd K. Rutherford, Lt. Governor